Cost of Business
The cost of business in West Fargo is 15% less than the national average. West Fargo provides customized business services by working case by case with individual firms to solve both major and minor challenges that occur. Furthermore, our multi-faceted approach also means that once a business locates in West Fargo, West Fargo commits to establish a business’s staying power – regardless of the business’s size.
The City of West Fargo recognizes the myriad benefits businesses bring to our community and intend to give all the aid and resources needed to maintain a sustainable business venture in West Fargo.
Corporate Income Tax Exemption
- 5-year corporate tax exemption for new or expanding primary sector businesses
- Investment tax credits for business investors
Sales Tax Exemption
- No sales and use tax exemptions on eligible services, manufacturing or computer/telecommunication equipment
- Utilities are not taxed in North Dakota
Property Tax Exemption
- Up to 5-year 100 percent property tax exemption
- Additional five years available for agriculture processors
- Property tax exemptions for new or improved buildings (for eligible businesses)
- Payment in lieu of a property tax exemption, a company may negotiate a fixed or graduated tax rate for a period not to exceed 20 years
- Personal property is not taxed, including equipment, materials in process and accounts receivable
- Research Expense Credit: Income tax credit for conducting research in North Dakota.
- Seed Capital Investment Tax Credit: Income tax credit for investing in a business certified by the Department of Commerce Division of Economic Development and Finance
- Angel Fund Investment Credits: Income tax credit for investing in an angel fund in North Dakota certified by the Department of Commerce Division of Economic Development and Finance
- Funding for Workforce Training: Training assistance usually provided as reimbursements to business for costs incurred in on-the-job training
- The Work Opportunity Tax Credit: Tax credit for North Dakota employers for new hire during first year of employment
- North Dakota Development Fund: Gap financing loan and equity program
- PACE Program: Interest buy down program at Bank of North Dakota
- Match Program: Loans at U.S. Treasury yield rate plus 0.25 percent
- Research North Dakota: Grant funds for conducting research and development in partnership with North Dakota universities