13th Avenue Reconstruction
The project will include the construction of a new 6-lane roadway in Fargo and 3-lane westbound and 2-lane eastbound roadway in West Fargo, as well as above and below ground infrastructure improvements from 45th Street S in Fargo to 12th Street E in West Fargo (approximately 1 mile). Project work includes: concrete paving, curb and gutter, shared-use path, city utilities, street lights and traffic signal improvements.
The project's purpose is to replace aging infrastructure, with a goal of improving both pedestrian and vehicular safety and increasing roadway capacity.
PROJECT PHASES – As the project progresses, multiple shifts in traffic control will occur. The anticipated phase schedule is:
- Phase 2 (Complete) – Early September
- Side-by-side traffic on north side of roadway
- Phase 3 (Current) – End of October
- Side-by-side traffic on south side of roadway
- Phase 4 – Early November
- 45th Street intersection pavement repairs (Complete) – Approximately 3 weeks in June
- Project completion – Early November (100% traffic open)
**Please remember all schedules are tentative and weather dependent.
The City of West Fargo project is estimated to cost $7.35 million, with funding through sales tax and special assessments distributed through an improvement district.
The total special assessment for a single-family residential property owner with less than 2 acres in the improvement district is estimated at $3,500-4,650*, and a 1-acre commercial or multifamily property is estimated at $15,000-20,000*. This balance can be paid in full, or over a 25-year term with interest.
*Estimate only. Final special assessments are calculated at the conclusion of the improvement based on the type of property, property size, funding sources and total construction costs.
- Project Begin Date: April 2018
- Project End Date: November 2018
- Project Complete: 80%
- Sanitary sewer
- Water main
- Storm sewer
- Concrete paving
- Curb and gutter
- Signals and lighting
- Throughout project:
- Access and use of 13th Avenue will remain open with at least one lane of traffic plus turning lanes open in both eastbound and westbound directions.
- Short-term intersection closures will occur in each phase.
- Business access maintained and access continues from current side streets during the construction project. As the project progresses, traffic control shifts will occur as well as open driving lanes, temporary lane reductions and short-term intersection closures.
- North side of the 16th Street E. intersection is closed
- Traffic shifted to south lanes
- North intersection of 17th Street E. closed
TRAFFIC CONTROL – Phase 3 will continue until the end of October
Work zone: 13th Avenue between 45th Street S in Fargo to 12th Street E in West Fargo
Traffic control: Head-to-head traffic on the south side of the roadway.
- One driving lane plus dedicated left turn lane each direction
- North side intersections of 16th Street E, 50th Street SW, 48th Street SW and 47th Street S
- All south side intersections have access to mainline
- Access to surrounding side streets
- Business access is maintained
- North side of the roadway – 47th Street S to 12th Street E
- Sidewalks – North-to-south pedestrian crossing is at Ninth Street E or 45th Street S
- Intermittent intersection work:
- North side access of 12th, 14th, and 17th, intersections
To access commerce or travel through the area, drivers are encouraged to use alternative routes for their east-west driving.
- Daily traffic count throughout the project is approximately 30,000 vehicles per day.
- The project will safely accommodate higher traffic counts.
- Speeds are reduced to 25 mph and flaggers are present
- Fargo and West Fargo Police Departments are conducting traffic blitzes to help keep safe speeds and work zone
- Peak travel times: 3 - 6 p.m.
- Congestion expected during these times