13th Avenue Reconstruction
The project will include the construction of a new 6-lane roadway in Fargo and 3-lane westbound and 2-lane eastbound roadway in West Fargo, as well as above and below ground infrastructure improvements from 45th Street S in Fargo to 12th Street E in West Fargo (approximately 1 mile). Project work includes: concrete paving, curb and gutter, shared-use path, city utilities, street lights and traffic signal improvements.
The project's purpose is to replace aging infrastructure, with a goal of improving both pedestrian and vehicular safety and increasing roadway capacity.
PROJECT PHASES – As the project progresses, there will be multiple shifts in traffic control. The anticipated phase schedule is:
- Phase 2 completion (Complete) – Early September
- Side-by-side traffic on north side of roadway
- Phase 3 completion – (Complete) – End of October
- Side-by-side traffic on south side of roadway- west of 16th Street E
- Split traffic to the outside lanes of the roadway- east of 16th Street E
- Phase 4 completion – (Current) - Mid November
- 45th Street intersection pavement repairs (Complete) – Approximately 3 weeks in June
- Project completion – Mid November (100% traffic open)
**Please remember all schedules are tentative and weather dependent.
The City of West Fargo project is estimated to cost $7.35 million, with funding through sales tax and special assessments distributed through an improvement district.
The total special assessment for a single-family residential property owner with less than 2 acres in the improvement district is estimated at $3,500-4,650*, and a 1-acre commercial or multifamily property is estimated at $15,000-20,000*. This balance can be paid in full, or over a 25-year term with interest.
*Estimate only. Final special assessments are calculated at the conclusion of the improvement based on the type of property, property size, funding sources and total construction costs.
- Project Begin Date: April 2018
- Project End Date: November 2018
- Project Complete: 85%
- Sanitary sewer
- Water main
- Storm sewer
- Mainline and turn lane paving
- Curb and gutter
- Traffic signals and street lighting
- All lanes scheduled to open Nov. 21 with fully operational traffic signals
- Temporary traffic signals will remain at Seventh Street W. and 45th Street W. until all lighting is complete
- Daily traffic count throughout the project is approximately 30,000 vehicles per day.
- The project will safely accommodate higher traffic counts.
- Speeds are reduced to 25 mph and flaggers are present
- Fargo and West Fargo Police Departments are conducting traffic blitzes to help keep safe speeds and work zone
- Peak travel times: 3 - 6 p.m.
- Congestion expected during these times